A healthy body is a happy body, and there’s no better way to preserve your health and your family’s health than with a health insurance policy from Carolinas Insurance Services.
Let’s face it, medical treatments aren’t cheap. Without health insurance coverage you could end up paying off medical bills for the rest of your life. Carolinas Insurance Services can help you find an affordable healthcare plan that’s right for you. Contact one of our friendly agents today to learn more.
Types of Health Insurance in South Carolina
There are basically three major types of North Carolina and South Carolina health insurance policies to choose from: consumer-directed, fee for service, and managed care. These health insurance plans help cover your medical, surgical, and hospital expenses. They may even cover dental expenses, mental health services, and prescription drugs, depending on the coverage you choose.
- Consumer-directedA consumer-directed health plan (a.k.a. “consumer-driven” or “consumer choice”) is a newer type of healthcare plan that’s designed to give you more control. As part of the plan, you setup a health fund that can be used to cover medical expenses.
- Fee for ServiceA fee for service plan is a more traditional healthcare plan. It means you pay a fee to your provider for every healthcare service you receive. The benefit of this type of health insurance plan is that it allows for a lot of flexibility when choosing a physician or healthcare provider.
- Managed CareMembers of managed care health plans generally enjoy more benefits like lower out-of-pocket costs. However, you can only receive treatment from physicians that participate in the managed care network. Typical managed care plans include health maintenance organizations (HMOs), preferred provider organizations (PPO), and point-of service (POS) plans.
Common Health Insurance Terms
When discussing health insurance with an agent, it helps to understand some of the common terms you’ll hear. Below you’ll find definitions to some of the most common health insurance terms.
- Deductible – The amount of money you pay toward medical bills before your insurance coverage begins.
- Co-pay – A specified amount of money you pay upfront for doctor visits and prescription refills.
- Coinsurance – The percentage of medical bills you pay after meeting the deductible.
To learn more about North Carolina and South Carolina health insurance, call and talk with one of our agents today. We’ll guide you toward a more secure future.